Studying abroad: Prepare well before you leave to ensure your studies go smoothly


To be up-to-date with all the administrative formalities, sort out all requirements before you go: identity documents, visa, vaccinations, driving licence, change of address, etc.
It is a good idea to begin preparing a few months in advance and to become well-informed on the special conditions concerning your destination. Formalities and waiting times vary greatly from country to country.

Your identity documents
In the EU and in neighbouring countries of France (Monaco, Switzerland, Andorra), a valid identity card is sufficient. For other countries, a biometric passport is required. This can be obtained from town halls with a biometric unit. Important: waiting times are 2 to 3 weeks, and can be longer than that before holiday times.

Find more information at tab: Papiers, Citoyenneté. In the event that you lose your ID documents abroad, contact the French consulate.

Store your important documents at You can create a personal storage space, which is free and confidential. In the event of theft or loss of your identity documents, you can download these documents and provide proof of your identity.

Outside Europe: obtain a visa
A visa is often compulsory for countries outside Europe. It constitutes an authorisation to enter and spend time in a country. There are different types of visa: tourist, business, study.
To find out which countries require a visa, consult the country sheets of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
To find out which documents must be provided, the deadlines and the cost, contact the consulate or the embassy of your host country.

The Holiday-Work Programme (PVT): France has signed agreements with Argentina, Australia, Canada, South Korea, Japan and New Zealand. This programme enables young people under 25, 30 or 35 years old (depending on the destinations) to stay between 6 and 12 months in the respective country to enjoy holidays there, while at the same time holding a job.

source: cidj